Monday 20 February 2012

My Final Major Project


Ok, so I am currently doing my Final Major Project for my Third Year. A lot of pressure and a lot of work. Because I am such a huge fan of the theatre, I am basing my FMP on the Theatre Production of Hairspray. Who doesn't love Hairspray? I remember going to the cinema with my best friend to see the film starring John Travolta. It was so much fun. After that I just had to see it on stage. After much persuasion, and the discovery that Michael Ball was starring as Edna, my Mum agreed to take me and my sister to watch the show in the West End. It was AWESOME. It was fun and bright and the atmosphere was great. It soon became one of my favourite West End shows.


After growing up watching musicals and visiting the theatre, making costumes for one of my favourite shows was a must. Also, my interest in the 1960s. I don't know what it is with the 60s but I find the era fascinating. The colours, the hair, the make-up, the new attitudes. The 60s really was where it all changed, how can I not be interested.

Seeing as I am doing Hairspray for my FMP, I am making a costume for Edna, it would be rude not too. Therefore, body padding is essential to making my Edna look curvatious and fabulous. So yes, I have been making boobs. That's not something you hear every day. This last week has been dedicated to finishing my Dissertation and making the body padding using wadding, skin coloured jersey fabric, a large skin coloured bra and some bird seed. It actually takes longer than you think but it is fun. It's also quite exciting once you have finished because now you can move onto the next step. The next step being, pattern cutting for Edna....

No comments:

Post a Comment